Brig. Gen. Jason R. Armagost is the Commander, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar. This composite wing includes strike, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, mobility, aeromedical evacuation, and command and control assets which support Operations INHERENT RESOLVE and FREEDOM’S SENTINEL. The wing provides support to more than 7,100 Air Force, joint, and coalition forces.
General Armagost graduated from the United States Air Force Academy and was commissioned in 1992. He has served in multiple operational and training assignments and logged more than 2,700 hours in the B-2A, F-16CJ, F-16CG, B-52H, and T-38A. His notable educational and staff assignments include a fellowship at the Center for International Security and Cooperation at Stanford University, California, and duties as the Chief of Nuclear Operations on the Joint Staff at the Pentagon.
General Armagost commanded the 13th Bomb Squadron at Whiteman AFB and the 5th Bomb Wing at Minot AFB. His operational assignments supported contingency operations during DESERT STRIKE, SOUTHERN WATCH, IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM, INHERENT RESOLVE, and FREEDOM’S SENTINEL. Further, he has flown numerous combat missions in the F-16CJ, B-2A and the B-52H. Prior to his current assignment, the general was the Deputy Director for Current Operations at United States Strategic Command.
1992 Bachelor of Science, English, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Arts, Counseling and Leadership Development, University of Colorado
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Air Force Fellow, Center for International Security and Cooperation, Stanford University, Stanford, Calif.
1. August 1992 - January 1993, liaison, Colorado Division of Wildlife, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2. February 1993 - June 1994, student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, and Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. July 1994 - March 1995, student, F-16 Fighter Training, 308th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. April 1995 - February 1998, F-16CJ Flight Lead, Scheduler, and Weapons & Tactics Officer, 13th Fighter Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
5. March 1998 - May 1998, student, T-38 Pilot Instructor Training, 560th Flying Training Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
6. June 1998 - October 1999, T-38 Instructor Pilot, Assistant Flight Commander and Chief of Scheduling, 50th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
7. November 1999 - March 2004, B-2 and T-38 Instructor Pilot and Evaluator, Chief of Survivability, Weapons, and Tactics, Flight Commander, and Assistant Director of Operations, 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
8. April 2004 - May 2005, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, University of Colorado
9. June 2005 - June 2007, Air Officer Commanding, Cadet Squadron 31, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
10. July 2007 - June 2008, Director of Operations, 509th Operations Support Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
11. June 2008 - July 2010, Commander, 13th Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
12. August 2010 - July 2011, Air Force Fellow, Center for International Security and Cooperation, Stanford University, Stanford, Calif.
13. August 2011 - June 2013, Chief, Nuclear Operations Division, Joint Staff (J-36), the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2013 - July 2014, Vice Commander, 36th Wing, Andersen AFB, Guam
15. July 2014 - June 2016, Commander, 5th Bomb Wing, Minot AFB, N.D.
16. June 2016 – May 2017, Deputy Director, Current Operations, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
17. June 2017 – present, Commander, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,700 hours and 273 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-38A, F-16CG, F-16CJ, B-2A and B-52H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1992
First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
Captain May 27, 1996
Major Dec. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 1, 2007
Colonel June 1, 2012
Brigadier General May 2, 2018
(Current as of July 2018)