Colonel Henry H. Triplett III is the Commander, 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Ali Al Salem Air Base, Kuwait. The wing, comprised of over 6,000 Airmen and coalition partners, provides air mobility, precision strike, personnel recovery, electronic attack, logistics operations, and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance assets in support of operations throughout Southwest Asia. Approximately 410 of the wing’s Airmen are filling Joint Expeditionary Taskings in support of U.S. Army combat support requirements at forward operating bases in Southwest Asia.
Colonel Triplett earned a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Louisville and was commissioned in May 1996. He has commanded at the squadron and group level as well as served in various staff assignments at the major command, combatant command, and headquarters level. He has forward deployed multiple times in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM. He is a graduate of both the Army’s Air Assault School and the U.S. Air Force Academy’s Military Freefall School.
Colonel Triplett is a Command Pilot with more than 3,800 flying hours and 600 combat hours in the T-37B, T-1A, C-141B, C-17A, and C-130H.
- 1996 Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, University of Louisville, Kentucky
- 2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
- 2003 Masters of Business Administration and Management with honors, Saint Martin’s College, Washington
- 2006 Air Command and Staff College, Correspondence
- 2008 Masters of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
- 2012 Air War College, Correspondence
- 2017 Masters of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
- July 1996 – August 1998, Mechanical Engineer, 89th Civil Engineering Squadron, Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland.
- August 1998 – February 2000, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma.
- February 2000 – June 2001, C-141B Pilot and Tactics Officer, 4th Airlift Squadron, McChord Air Force Base, Washington.
- June 2001 – July 2002, C-17A Pilot and Scheduler, 7th Airlift Squadron, McChord Air Force Base, Washington.
- July 2002 – September 2003, C-17A Aircraft Commander and Squadron Operations Center Controller, 8th Airlift Squadron, McChord Air Force Base, Washington.
- September 2003 – May 2004, C-17A Instructor Aircraft Commander and Assistant Flight Commander, 16th Airlift Squadron, Charleston Air Force Base, South Carolina.
- May 2004 – October 2004, C-17A Evaluator Aircraft Commander and Flight Commander, 16th Airlift Squadron, Charleston Air Force Base, South Carolina.
- October 2004 – May 2005, C-17A Evaluator Aircraft Commander and Chief Evaluations, 16th Airlift Squadron, Charleston Air Force Base, South Carolina.
- May 2005 – May 2006, C-17A Senior Airdrop Evaluator Aircraft Commander, 437th Airlift Wing, Charleston Air Force Base, South Carolina.
- May 2006 – July 2007, C-17A Evaluator Aircraft Commander and Assistant Operations Officer, 16th Airlift Squadron, Charleston Air Force Base, South Carolina.
- July 2007 – June 2008, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama.
- June 2008 – July 2010, Chief, Bomber, Mobility, STS and AWACS/Recce Assignments, Air Force Colonel Management Office, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
- July 2010 – June 2012, Operations Officer, 573d Global Support Squadron, Travis Air Force Base, California.
- June 2012 – June 2014, Commander, 728th Air Mobility Squadron, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey.
- June 2014 – February 2015, Deputy Division Chief for the European Deployment and Distribution Operations Center, United States European Command, Stuttgart, Germany.
- February 2015 – August 2015, Executive Officer to the Chief of Staff, United States European Command, Stuttgart, Germany.
- August 2015 – July 2016, Special Assistant to the Deputy Commander, United States European Command, Stuttgart, Germany.
- July 2016 – June 2017, Student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama.
- June 2017 – July 2018, Director of Operations, 618th Air Operations Center, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois.
- July 2018 – June 2020, Commander, 521st Air Mobility Operations Group, Naval Station Rota, Spain.
- July 2020 – Present, Commander 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Ali Al Salem Air Base, Kuwait
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Combat Action Medal
2004 Air Mobility Command Aviation Valor Award
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant – 13 Jun 1996
First Lieutenant – 13 Jun 1998
Captain – 13 Jun 2000
Major – 1 July 2006
Lieutenant Colonel – 1 Oct 2011
Colonel – 1 Dec 2017
(Current as of Jun 2020)