PRINT | E-MAIL
Col. J. Christopher “Miles” McClung is the Vice Commander, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar. This composite wing includes strike; intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance; mobility; aeromedical evacuation; and command and control assets which support Operations INHERENT RESOLVE and FREEDOM’S SENTINEL. The wing provides support to more than 7,100 Air Force, joint, and coalition forces.
Col. McClung received his commission from North Carolina State University in 1997. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Chief of Current Operations and Integrated Air Missile Defense Divisions, 603d Air Operations Center, Ramstein Air Base, Germany.
Col. McClung is a master combat systems officer with 2,700 hours of flying time in the B-1 Bomber, including over 700 combat hours.
He holds master’s degrees from Touro International University, Air University and the National Intelligence University.
1997 Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, N.C.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala. by correspondence
2004 USAF Weapons School, B-1 Division, Dyess AFB, TX.
2005 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., top third graduate
2008 Master of Business Administration, Touro International University
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala. by correspondence
2010 Master’s degree, Strategic Intelligence, National Intelligence University, DIA, Bolling AFB Washington D.C.
2013 Air War College by correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Master’s degree, Strategic Studies, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. February 1998 – March 1998, Special Assistant to the Commander, AFROTC Detachment 595, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, N.C.
2. April 1998 – October 1999, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, NAS Pensacola, Fla.
November 1999 – April 2000, B-1 Weapons Systems Officer, B-1 Initial Qualification Course, 28th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
3. May 2000 – December 2003, Instructor WSO, Weapons and Tactics, Assistant Chief of Training, 9th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
4. January 2004 – June 2004, B-1 Weapons Instructor Candidate, USAF Weapons School, 77th Weapons Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
5. July 2004 – April 2006, Chief, Weapons and Tactics, 34th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
6. May 2006 – April 2007, Wing Weapons Officer, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
7. May 2007 – June 2009, Flight Commander, Instructor, Weapons Employment Phase, 77th Weapons Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
8. July 2009 – July 2010, Student, National Intelligence University, Defense Intelligence Agency, Bolling AFB Washington D.C.
9. August 2010 – May 2012, Chief, B-1 Requirements, B-1 PEM, Requirements Directorate, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
10. June 2012 – January 2013, Deputy Director, Commander’s Action Group, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB Va.
11. February 2013 – April 2013, Student B-1 Transition Course and Assistant Director of Operations, 9th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas.
12. May 2013 – May 2014, Director of Operations, 9th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas.
13. June 2014 – May 2015, Director of Operations, 77th Weapons Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas.
14. June 2015 – May 2017, Commander, 77th Weapons Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas.
15. June 2017 – June 2018, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
16. July 2018 – April 2019, Chief of Future Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe – Air Forces Africa, Ramstein AB, Germany.
17. May 2019 – June 2020, Chief, Combat Operations & Integrated Air Missile Defense Divisions, 603d Air Operations Center, Ramstein AB, Germany.
18. July 2020 - Present, Vice Commander, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar.
Rating: Master Combat Systems Officer
Flight Hours: more than 2,700 hours
Combat Hours: 752
Aircraft Flown: B-1, T-39, T-38, T-34, T-1
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
“Unfinished Business: Refining the Air Component Structure,” Air & Space Power Journal, Winter 2019 (Co-author)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jan. 14, 1998
First Lieutenant Jan. 14, 2000
Captain Jan. 14, 2002
Major July 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2012
Colonel Apr. 1, 2019
(Current as of July 2020)