PRINT | E-MAIL
Brigadier General Lansing R. Pilch is the Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates. The 380th is comprised of four groups and sixteen squadrons. He is responsible for the wing’s air refueling, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, air battle management, control and reporting center, ground attack, air superiority, theatre security cooperation, and airlift missions in support of overseas contingency operations in Southwest Asia.
General Pilch received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1993. He was a distinguished graduate of the U.S. Air Force’s Weapons Instructor Course and has served as an instructor and evaluator pilot in the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the F-22 Raptor, and the F-35 Lightning II. As a squadron commander, he was the first to lead an F-22 squadron to the Central Command Area of Responsibility. Prior to his current assignment, General Pilch served as the Vice Commander, Seventh Air Force, Air Forces Korea, and Chief of Staff, Air Component Command, Osan Air Base, South Korea.
General Pilch has commanded at the squadron, group, and wing levels. He is a command pilot with more than 3,000 flying hours in multiple aircraft, including the F-35A, F-22A, F-16, F-15, E-3, and C-17.
1993 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2001 USAF Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2006 Master of Business Administration (Magna Cum Laude), Ross School of Business, University of Michigan
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2011 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C.
2014 Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2015 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. June 1993 – January 1994, Intercollegiate Baseball Program Manager, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2. January 1994 – May 1995, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training and Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. June 1995 – March 1996, Student, F-16 Initial Qualification Course, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. March 1996 – March 1999, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Chief of Scheduling, Cannon AFB, N.M.
5. April 1999 – June 2000, F-16 Instructor Pilot and Wing Stan/Eval Officer, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
6. July 2000 – March 2003, F-16 Instructor Pilot and Weapons Officer, 308th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. April 2003 – February 2008, F-22 Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander, Assistant Director of Operations, and Director of Operations, 43rd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
8. March 2008 – March 2010, Commander, 27th Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
9. March 2010 – July 2010, Deputy Operations Group Commander, 1st Operations Group, Langley AFB, Va.
10. August 2010 – June 2011, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2011 – May 2013, Senior Military Evaluator for the Director, Operational Test and Evaluation, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2013 – June 2015, Commander, 3rd Operations Group, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska 13. June 2015 – April 2017, Commander, 33rd Fighter Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
14. May 2017 – July 2019, Vice Commander, Seventh Air Force, Air Forces Korea, and Chief of Staff, Air Component Command, Osan AB, South Korea
15. July 2019 – Present, Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
June 2011 – May 2013, Senior Military Evaluator for the Director, Operational Test and Evaluation, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 3,000
Aircraft Flown: F-35A, F-22A, F-16, F-15, C-12, C-17, E-3
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1993
First Lieutenant June 2, 1995
Captain June 2, 1997
Major Aug. 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Colonel June 1, 2012
Brigadier General May 4, 2018
(Current as of July 2019)