PRINT | E-MAIL
Brig. Gen. Larry Broadwell is the Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates. The 380th AEW is comprised of four groups and 16 squadrons. He is responsible for the wing’s air refueling, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, air battle management, control and reporting center, ground attack, air superiority, theatre security cooperation and airlift missions in support of overseas contingency operations in Southwest Asia.
General Broadwell received his commission in March 1996 from Officer Training School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. He is a graduate of both Undergraduate Navigator Training, and Undergraduate Pilot Training serving as a rated officer in the C-130E, F-15C, and F-22. He is a veteran of Operations JOINT GUARD, JOINT FORGE, DESERT FOX, SOUTHERN WATCH, NOBLE EAGLE, and IRAQI FREEDOM. Prior to his current position, he served as Executive Officer to the Chief of Staff, United States Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Mathematics, Jacksonville St. University, Jacksonville, Ala.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Masters of Aerospace Science, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
2008 Army Command and General Staff College, Ft. Leavenworth, Kan.
2009 Masters of Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. March 1996–July 1997, Student Navigator, VT-4, Pensacola Naval Air Station Fla. and 562nd Flying Training Squadron, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
2. July1997–February 1999, C-130E Navigator, 41st Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
3. February 1999–April 2000, Student Pilot, 37th FTS and 50th FTS, Columbus AFB, Miss.
4. April 2000–May 2001, F-15C Student Pilot, 2nd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. May 2001–February 2004, Flight Commander, F-15C Mission Commander, 94th FS, Langley AFB, Va.
6. February 2004–June 2007, Assistant Director of Operations, F-15C Instructor Pilot, 1st FS & 325th Operations Support Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
7. June 2007–June 2008, Student, Army Command and General Staff College, Ft. Leavenworth, Kan.
8. June 2008–July 2009, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2009–July 2010, Deputy Division Chief, United States Forces-Iraq / J-5 Strategy, Baghdad, Iraq
10. July 2010–November 2010, F-22 Student Pilot, 43rd FS, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
11. November 2010–February 2011, Assistant Director of Operations, 49th OSS, Holloman AFB, N.M.
12. February 2011–October 2011, Director of Operations, 7th FS, Holloman AFB, N.M.
13. October 2011–April 2013, Commander, 7th FS, Holloman AFB, N.M.
14. April 2013–June 2013, Student, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk NAS, Va.
15. June 2013–July 2014, Executive Officer to the Commander, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
16. July 2014–June 2016, Commander, 1st Operations Group, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
17. July 2016–April 2018, Commander, 9th Reconnaissance Wing, Beale AFB, Calif.
18. April 2018–June 2020, Executive Officer to the Chief of Staff, United States Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
19. June 2020- Present, Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
July 2009–July 2010, Deputy Division Chief, United States Forces-Iraq / J-5 Strategy, Baghdad, Iraq, as a major, then lieutenant colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: 2,200 including 25 combat hours
Aircraft flown: C-130E, T-38A, F-15C, F-15D, F-22, RQ-4
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters Air Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 15, 1996
First Lieutenant March 15, 1998
Captain March 15, 2000
Major March 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2010
Colonel Oct. 1, 2014
Brigadier General June 2, 2020
(Current as of June 2020)