Col Terence G. Taylor is the Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates. He is responsible for the wing’s armed overwatch mission, encompassing intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, and command and control reporting center assets, as well as theatre security cooperation and Agile Combat Employment/Dynamic Force Employment missions in direct support of the United States Air Forces Central and United States Central Command priorities.
Colonel Taylor earned his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program at the University of Virginia in 1997. He completed Undergraduate Pilot Training and quickly advanced to Aircraft Commander for the MC-130H, Combat Talon II. Colonel Taylor is an experienced combat pilot who has accumulated 1,803 combat flight hours and 4,800 total flight hours in nine different aircraft. He has completed 12 deployments in support of overseas contingency operations.
Colonel Taylor has commanded at the group and wing levels. His prior assignments include an Air Force Fellowship with the Project on National Security Reform, and serving in the Department of State’s Bureau of Counterterrorism, where he was responsible for directing political and operational responses to international terrorism and implementing America’s global counterterrorism policies in coordination with numerous government departments and agencies. Colonel Taylor commanded a selectively manned flying squadron within the Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC), directing and coordinating all unit operations; to include, training and deployments in support of the United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM). Prior to his current position, the colonel was the Commander of the 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon Air Force Base (AFB), New Mexico.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Montgomery, Ala.
2004 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, American Military University, Charles Town, W. Va.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala., by correspondence
2017 Master of Arts, Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala.
1. May 1997 - December 1997, Casual Lieutenant Program, Air Force ROTC, University of Virginia, Virginia
2. January 1998 - June 1998, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Oklahoma
3. July 1998 - April 1999, Advanced Flight Training, Corpus Christi Naval Air Station, Texas
4. May 1999 - December 1999, C-130 Initial Qualification Training, Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
5. January 2000 - May 2000, MC-130H Mission Qualification Training, Kirtland AFB, New Mexico
6. May 2000 - May 2003, MC-130H Aircraft Commander, 15th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Florida
7. May 2003 - August 2007, Evaluator Pilot, AFSOC, Geographically Separated Unit (GSU)
8. August 2007 - June 2010, Flight Commander, AFSOC, GSU
9. June 2010 - June 2011, Air Force Fellow, Project on National Security Reform, Washington, D.C.
10. June 2011 - November 2012, Operations Officer, Bureau of Counterterrorism, U.S. Department of State Washington, D.C.
11. December 2012 - June 2014, Operations Officer, AFSOC, GSU
12. June 2014 - June 2016, Commander, AFSOC, GSU
13. June 2016 - May 2017, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
14. May 2017 - May 2018, USSOCOM Special Operations Support Team (SOST), Federal Bureau of Investigations, Washington, D.C.
15. May 2018 - May 2019, Division Chief, Sensitive Activities, Deputy Director for Special Operations and Counter-terrorism, J-37, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. May 2019 - May 2021, Commander, 1st Special Operations Group, Hurlburt Field, Florida
17. June 2021 - June 2023, Commander, 27th Special Operations Wing, Cannon AFB, New Mexico
18. June 2023 - Present, Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. May 2018 - May 2019, Division Chief, Sensitive Activities, Deputy Director for Special Operations and Counter-terrorism, J-37, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,800, including more than 1,800 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-44, C-130E, MC-130H, C-208, CN-235, BE-200, C-130H, MQ-9
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with twenty oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 15, 1997
First Lieutenant May 1, 1999
Captain May 1, 2001
Major February 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2012
Colonel October 1, 2018